Text Analysis for Surveys
Gain Full Value from Text Responses
You include open-ended questions in your surveys because you know there’s great value in letting people express their views in their own words. But it can be tedious, time-consuming, and costly to categorize or "code" text responses.
SPSS Inc. created SPSS Text Analysis for Surveys to help you gain full value from text responses without the drudgery and expense associated with manual coding.
Specifically designed for survey text, SPSS Text Analysis for Surveys is based on our powerful SPSS natural language processing (NLP) software technologies. SPSS Text Analysis for Surveys offers both automated and manual techniques, giving you greater control over the process and your results.
With SPSS Text Analysis for Surveys, you can import data not only from SPSS for Windows, Microsoft Excel, and ODBC-compliant databases but also from our versatile Dimensions family of survey research products, which includes solutions for paper-based, Web-based, and telephone interviewing. Export results created in SPSS Text Analysis for Surveys either as categories or dichotomies for further analysis in SPSS, mrTables, or Excel.
Benefits of Using SPSS Text Analysis for Surveys
Whether you conduct surveys to support decision making in business, education, or government, or as part of your academic research, you can benefit from using SPSS Text Analysis for Surveys to categorize text responses.
- If you're currently categorizing responses in-house, you can do so faster, yet with equal or greater reliability
- If you use outside services to categorize responses, you can save money by doing some or all of it in-house instead
- If you categorize responses for clients, you can streamline the creation of categories, making your process more efficient and increasing client satisfaction
- You can save and reuse categories, saving time and making your analysis of similar or “follow-up” surveys more consistent
- Your analysis, whether for internal use or for clients, will provide added insight into survey participants’ opinions, attitudes, and behavior
New features in SPSS Text Analysis for Surveys 2.1 extend and enhance the abilities of this software.
You can now:
- Work with the Microsoft Windows Vista operating system—Windows Vista Business or Home Basic (32- and 64-bit) is supported
- Work with survey text in non-English languages—different native language versions (Dutch, French, German, and Spanish) are available
- Attain better automated extraction and classification performance—extraction and classification components have been enhanced
Easy to Use and Control
SPSS Text Analysis for Surveys is simple to use and works in conjunction with several SPSS survey research and analytic products.
To analyze responses to open-ended questions with SPSS Text Analysis for Surveys, you:
- Import data from SPSS for Windows, any Dimensions product, Microsoft Excel, or any ODBC-compliant source
- Extract key concepts in text responses automatically by using included and customizable libraries
- Create and populate categories with the help of automated statistics- or linguistics-based techniques and manual methods
- Export results as categories or dichotomies for analysis and graphing in SPSS, mrTables, or Microsoft Excel
Depending upon the complexity of your survey responses, completing the categorization process may take several iterations. You stay in touch with your data throughout the process. Once you’re satisfied with your categories and have categorized all your responses, you can save the categories and their definitions for reuse in follow-up surveys or with surveys on similar topics.
- Operating system: Microsoft Windows Vista Business or Home Basic (32- and 64-bit) or Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2 (32-bit)
- Processor: Intel Pentium-class; 3.0 GHz recommended
- Monitor: 1024 x 768 (SVGA) resolution
- Memory: 256MB RAM minimum; 512MB recommended; 1GB or more for large datasets
- Minimum free disk space: 300MB; more recommended for larger datasets
- A CD-ROM drive is required for installation
- Software: Internet Explorer 6.0 or later for online help