BitDefender is a quickly up-and-coming Internet security brand, which constantly gains attention based on great security products at phenomenal prices.
Although smaller than many of its competitors, BitDefender constantly tops antivirus reviews the world over, proving time and time again that bigger is definitely not always better. BitDefender users agree completely!
BitDefender Total Security 2009 is the security software that continues where other solutions stop. In addition to complete malware protection (viruses , hackers, spyware, spam, & more), firewall solution and parental control, BitDefender Total Security also gives you PC backup and system maintenance tools to keep your data protected and your PC running smoothly.
"Secure your every bit"
BitDefender works by the words “Secure your every bit”, and that is what BitDefender Total Security 2009 aims to do.
Where BitDefender Internet Security gives you complete virus and malware protection, firewall, antispyware, as well as antispam and parental control, BitDefender Total Security 2009 adds a complete backup feature, and basic system tune up tools, which will be explained further later in this section.
Protection is in real-time, and along with Kaspersky, BitDefender is one of few Internet security brands that give you hourly updates to make sure your protection level is always completely up-to-date. Additionally, you get BitDefender’s new Gamer Mode, which minimizes security alerts while you are playing games online. Your protection level will still be intact, only operating more silently.
BitDefender is a very light product that is easy both to set up and to use. It will not bug down your computer, like some larger brands (for example Norton) are said to do. The BitDefender interface is straight-forward and makes the program easy even for beginners. Integrated virus and spyware scanning is pre-scheduled to run every 24 hours; however, BitDefender lets you schedule your scans at intervals you set yourself or run scans on demand.
When it comes to the BitDefender interface, the main screen gives you a quick overview of the status of your protection. Large icons show you right away if there is a problem; if there is, the normally green icons will turn red. To take care of problems, simply click the Fix This button, or click the specific graphic to get more information. For most users, the default settings will be more than sufficient.
Built-in firewall, antispam & parental controls
BitDefender Total Security has a built-in firewall that controls the Internet access of various application, at the same time as making your computer invisible from hackers. It also notifies you when computers log in to your Wi-Fi network. The firewall will take note every time you connect to a new network and ask whether you want to put the network in the Trusted or Untrusted zone. Unsecured wireless networks will be put in the Untrusted zone and treated with additional security.
- Advanced proactive protection - BitDefender Total Security 2009 protects your computer against all types of malware, for example Trojans, worms, rootkits, spyware, spam and adware. Web traffic, email, IMs, etc. are scanned and filtered even before they reach your browser.
- Backup & tuneup tools + Online storage - BitDefender Total Security 2009 has a built-in backup tool that backups and safeguards all your data. The built-in tuneup tools removes unnecessary files and registry entries to keep your computer running smoothly. In addition, BitDefender Total Security 2009 comes with 2 GB online storage space to further protect your data!
- Family network security - With BitDefender's new Family Network Security feature you can manage the security of your whole home network from a single location. BitDefender software can be configured remotely, while scans, updates, etc., can be run on-demand or scheduled during off-hours.
- IM encryption - With BitDefender Antivirus 2009's new instant messaging encryption, you can be sure no outsider can get access to your IM conversations.
- Built-in firewall - BitDefender's built-in firewall controls the Internet access of various application, while making your computer invisible from hackers. It also notifies you when computers log in to your Wi-Fi network.
- Parental control - With BitDefender Total Security's parental control feature you can rest ensured that your children are protected from inappropriate websites and e-mail messages. You can also set your BitDefender to allow or block web access during spedified intervals.
- Easy to use - BitDefender Total Security is perfect for any user. It is very easy to use; you can basically install it and forget about it. Green and red icons in the interface show you the status of your protection. For users with more specific needs, the software is easy to customize.
- Hourly updates - By default, BitDefender updates every hour to make sure you always have the latest protection for your computer. You can also update the software manually or set it to update at times that you decide.
- Low system usage - BitDefender Total Security 2009 is a light product that doesn't use up your system resources. In addition it scans and updates very quickly. The 2009 version includes a new Gamer Mode, which temporarily modifies your protection settings when you are playing games.
- FREE 24 hour technical support - For your convenience, BitDefender's security experts are available whenever you have a question; even in the middle of the night. Phone, email or chat is up to you.
BitDefender Antivirus 2009 supports the following operating systems:
Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (32/64 bit)
Windows Vista (32/64 bit) and Windows Vista SP1
Windows Home Server
* 800 MHz or higher processor
* 256 MB of RAM Memory (512 MB recommended for XP; 1GB for Windows Vista or Windows Home Server)
* 300 MB available hard disk space
Internet Explorer 6.0 (or higher)
.NET Framework 1.1 (available in the installer kit)
Supporting IM (Instant Messaging) Software
Yahoo Messenger v8
Windows Live Messenger v8.5