Limited Stock May Be Available, Call Us For Availability (800) 527-7638
Please Note: Pricing and availability are subject to change without notice.
*All TextHelp products are a final sale. No returns will be accepted.
Read&Write 9 continues the tradition of developing innovative assistive technology software from Texthelp for individuals with literacy support needs.
Read&Write is a literacy support software solution for people who struggle with reading and writing. Read&Write has been designed to help improve reading & writing skills, with features such as text to speech with highlighting, talking dictionary, phonetic spell checking, word prediction & homophone support to address key aspects of reading and writing processes.
Read&Write allows users to be more fully included due to its collaborative functionality with mainstream Windows applications. This compatibility means that there is no need for users to work within a special environment or to learn a whole new way of creating and editing text, as Read&Write is an easy-to-use 'floating' customizable toolbar that integrates seamlessly within Windows applications such as Microsoft Word and Internet Explorer.
Complete Feature Set of Read&Write
Text to Speech
Text to Speech is one of the most fundamental support features of Read&Write and Read&Write GOLD. Hearing text read aloud in conjunction with dual highlighting helps the reader with comprehension and word recognition. Research has proven that that reading aloud, paired with dual highlighting, boosts reading comprehension and allows writers to listen to their written work. Studies have also found that students' writing skills and attitude towards writing improve when they have their writing read aloud back to them (Central Washington University, Technology for Learning Disabilities Project).
With Read&Write, text is read aloud, including websites and PDF Files, with dual highlighting using custom, natural sounding male and female voices developed especially for Texthelp. International voices are also available.
Text to Speech is highly customizable, with text that can be read aloud by each word, sentence, paragraph, selected text or spoken as the user types.
Phonetic Spell Checker
An advanced phonetic spell checker analyzes and corrects students' spelling and returns more suggestions for common spelling errors. Misspelled words are immediately identified and correct choices are displayed. Definitions for word choices can also be displayed and a log collects student data. The spelling engine has also includes correcting errors common to those with dyslexia.
The user can choose to spell check as they type or check their completed work. Any spelling mistake will be identified and the Spellchecker window will provide a list of suggested corrections with the meanings of each to aid the correct choice. Color coded identification of errors helps to identify the mistakes.
The phonetic spell checker assists in correcting the most complex of errors.
Word Prediction learns the writer's style and predicts the word they are typing and the word they want to use next. Increases accuracy while reducing key strokes. A phonetic map is available to help find the right word. Teachers also have the ability to create prediction dictionary files directly from the toolbar, tailoring prediction for the student and lesson.
Read&Write's Word Prediction feature enables the user to develop their writing skills by providing the tools to construct sentences with ease. It also incorporates a prediction database based on a 100 million-word corpus. As the user types, a list of suggestions will appear in the Prediction Panel.
Users can also create and edit the contents of their custom dictionary and can edit the prediction suggestions to better suit their requirements.
Indicators beside each word show context accuracy. This means users will be less likely to make a grammatical error so increasing the quality of their work.
Read&Write provides both basic and advanced dictionaries are to support the user's creative writing skills. Each word in the dictionary has a description and sample sentence, all of which can be spoken, along with alternative suggestions.
Read&Write includes our own commissioned dictionary giving easier to comprehend definitions and setting options enabling the user to choose basic or advanced definitions. This further increases the capacity of understanding for students and increases the products ability to be tailored to the needs of individual users.
The Word Wizard acts as a thesaurus for those times when users are at a loss for words. It guides users from the known word to a new or preferred word. The word wizard provides a great choice of alternative words and provides a list of linking words.
To eliminate the confusion of like sounding words (homophones), Read&Write provides color coding of confusable words and lists possible alternatives with audible definitions and sample sentences, helping those with learning difficulties to work more efficiently.
The same sounding words panel shows the list of words that can be confused and a definition for each to help the user find the right word every time.
By identifying and providing audible definitions of homophones Read&Write ensures that each user identifies the correct word in the correct context.
The calculator provides the most common functions associated with a Simple or Scientific Calculator and provides an audit trail so that each user can see their calculations as they progress. It is also capable of evaluating equations within a document. The calculator also has and easy to use conversion feature. Click on the drop down arrow next to the icon and click on Convert. From there you have several choices - measurement, velocity, temperature and volume, and conversion to Metric and vice versa.
The DAISY Standard for Digital Accessible Documents is an open worldwide specification that revolutionizes the reading experience for people who are blind or print disabled. Read&Write GOLD software contains DAISY Reading technology and allows users to read their DAISY Books while working within the Read&Write program.
An added feature incorporated in the Daisy Reader is a dual color highlighting option. Dual color highlighting allows users with disabilities such as dyslexia to enjoy their reading experience in a format and style they are comfortable with.
PDFaloud speech-enables PDF files (provided the file's security settings allow for text copying) with dual highlighting support. The PDFaloud toolbar also provides options for controlling voice output settings, using a dictionary and calculator, and searching the internet.
Study Skills Tools
When reading documents, books, or journals, students often use colored markers to highlight portions of text, which are of particular relevance to the subject they are studying. Using the Study Skills Tools in Read&Write, students can do this on the computer. The Study Skills tools is used to facilitate active reading, writing, and learning. Students can highlight and extract text from any document or website to create study guides, outlines, or to complete assignments using different highlight colors. This is particularly useful when you want to select text and categorize it separately by type (e.g., main ideas, supporting details, vocabulary words, etc.). Students can highlight each type with a different color, and then collect the highlighted text and create a new document.
The Summary feature allows users, while working in Microsoft Word, to summarize a document by paring down its content by 10% to 75%.
New features in Version 9 include:
- New Texthelp Voices - Custom, natural sounding male and female voices developed especially for Texthelp.
- Create Lexiflow eBooks - Teachers can convert a scanned document to flash and create a talking eBook. This eBook can then be viewed on any PC or Mac with flash installed. In addition to text to speech with choice of reading voice, the eBook also includes support tools such as a Dictionary, Translator, Sticky Notes, and Highlighters. The eBook is ideal for distributing to students who have no accessibility software available.
- Screen Masking - Users can tint the screen using any number of colors, like an overlay and mask areas of the window apart from the reading or typing area. This feature is helpful to users who have trouble focusing on the screen by masking out with color the active or non active parts of the screen.
- Online Fact Mapper - The online graphic organizer has a new look and feel along with flexible customization. Students can also write text directly on the mapped elements, add sticky notes to the map, and export the elements into an outline.
- Online Translator - This one-click translator allows words to be translated into multiple languages and to be spoken aloud with highlighting.
- NIMAS Conversion Tool from CAST - The NIMAS Conversion Tool from CAST is now being distributed free of charge with Read&Write GOLD. Using NIMAS source files created by K-12 curriculum publishers, accessible, student-ready alternate-format versions of textbooks and core materials (e.g., Digital Talking Books) can subsequently be created with the NIMAS Conversion Tool. These student-ready files can then be distributed to qualified students with disabilities.
- Concurrent User Licensing - Concurrent licenses can be accessed during the day at school as well as after school from home, thus allowing more students access to the support tools they need when they need them. Unlimited site license customers can also add remote user licenses to accommodate their students while not at school.
Read&Write 9 - System Requirements
Pentium IV 1.8GHz processor
Windows 2000 SP4 or above, XP, or Vista
Internet Explorer: Version 5.5 or above
512 MB RAM (1 GB minimum for WIN Vista)
1.2 GB Free Disk Space
Speakers, Sound Card, DVD Player