Microsoft Open Value Licensing Pricing
Microsoft Open Value Licensing
Simplicity and Manageability
With a customizable platform and price advantages for volume purchasing, Open programs provide a simple, cost effective way to acquire the latest Microsoft technology:
Open Value is the recommended program if you have a small to midsize organization with five or more desktop PCs and want to simplify license management, manage software costs, and get better control over your investment. It also includes Software Assurance, providing access to valuable benefits such as training, deployment planning, software upgrades, and product support help you boost the productivity of your entire organization.
Open Value Subscription
Open Value Subscription provides the lowest up-front costs of the Open Program options with the flexibility to reduce the total licensing costs in years when the desktop PC count declines This option gives your organization the rights to run the software throughout your organization only during the term of the agreement with Microsoft. You also have the ability to add the single platform option to an Open Value Subscription agreement.
Open License is a good choice if you are a corporate, academic, charitable, or government organization that wants to pay as you go. You must have a minimum initial purchase of five software licenses for an Open License agreement, but you can acquire additional licensed products through Open License in any quantity at any time during the two-year agreement term.
With an initial purchase of five or more licenses, you can acquire products as you need them over the term of your agreement.
In addition to commercial business, Microsoft offers Open programs for the following industries:
- Government organizations
- Health organizations
- Educational institutions
- Qualifying 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations
- Multinational organizations
Choosing a Volume Licensing Program for Your Organization
Microsoft offers a variety of volume licensing programto help businesses purchase and manage their Microsoft software licenses. These programs cover everything from smaller organization with a handful of client computers to large corporations that manage tens of thousands of client and server components.
Volume Pricing is the most obvious benefit of these programs. But Microsoft® Volume Licensing program also help organization with tasks such as:
- Tracking software use to ensure legal compliance.
- Deploying updates and new versions, especially on client computers.
- Organizing software license purchasing through centralized purchasing practices.
- Microsoft Open programs, are available to a wide variety of organization and are most often used by organization with less than 250 client computers. They provide volume discounts for a minimal up-front cost and are available broadly through a worldwide partner channel.
The Open Programs offer many benefits, including:
- Simplicity. Start using licensed products as soon as your order is placed through the Open License pay-as-you-go model.
- Affordability. All Open Value License program offer flexible payment options so that you can stretch your software procurement budgets further.
- Flexibility. A broad worldwide partner channel makes sure you have convenient and fast access to thousands of software titles.
- Value. Manage licenses easily and conveniently through the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
To increase program flexibility and keep the low-entry standard, the Microsoft Open Value program provide multiple purchasing options, including Open Value (Company Wide or Open Value Non–company Wide) and Open Value Subscription. Each is a three-year term commitment that includes Microsoft Software Assurance as a fixed benefit.
By choosing Open Value Company-wide, you receive the rights to the latest Microsoft licensed products with a single platform option. With the single platform option, you can customize your desktop PC as you choose components from an operating system, the Microsoft Office system, and CAL product pools, plus additional software products selected in your agreement that include the following platform product options.
The Microsoft Office System: Microsoft Office Professional Plus and Microsoft Office Standard
- Windows 7 Business upgrade (with rights to Windows 7 Professional)
- Client Access License (CAL): Microsoft Core CAL Suite, Windows Small Business CAL Suite (Standard and Enhanced), Windows Essential Business Cal Suite( Standard and Enhanced) and Enterprise Business Server CAL Suite
- Non–company-wide Option.
The Non–company-wide option is available for any product license purchases. If you need licenses for servers or for a limited number of client computers, you can open a Non–company Wide agreement.
Open Value Subscription
Similar to the Company (Organization)-Wide option, with the Subscription option, you pay a single price per desktop PC to deploy Microsoft technology as the standard across your organization. This option gives your organization the rights to run the software Company (Organization)-Wide only during the term of the agreement with Microsoft. You also have the ability to add the single platform option to an Open Value Subscription agreement. Also like the Company wide option, Open Value Subscription offers flexible annual payments tied to the number of client computers you have but with the lowest up-front costs.
Open Value Subscription features include:
- Additional savings in the first year if you have current or previous versions of company-wide licensed products.
- The option to add the company-wide licensed products you have selected on new client computers throughout the year at no additional cost for that year.
- Lower payment through the years as your client computer count declines.
Public Sector organization
For public sector organization, such as schools and government entities with less than 250 client computers, Microsoft offers versions of the Open License and Open Value programs. The Open License for Academic and Open License for Government programmer similar to the commercial Open License program but with different pricing and partner channels. In some regions, government organization can also participate in the Open Value for Government and Open Value Subscription for Government programs. In other regions, charitable organization can participate in the Open License for Charity programs. Check with your Software Express Salesperson
Do You Already Have a Volume License?
As your business grows and changes, your Volume Licensing needs might change, as well. Review your Volume Licensing discount regularly to be sure your business is getting the best value.
Microsoft Open Value
Open Value is a comprehensive Microsoft Volume Licensing program for small and medium-size organization with 5-250 desktop PCs that want a flexible and affordable way to acquire the latest Microsoft technology. Since August 2008, Microsoft has consolidated and streamlined the Open Value Licensing model. Open Value now utilizes a traditional two-tier channel model like Open License, allowing you to determine your own sell price to customers, and keep control of the customer relationship.
Are you open to learn more about Volume Licensing and how you can help your customers improve their cash flow? Find out by visiting our ‘I’m Open To That’ Volume Licensing page on the Partner Program.
This guide is designed to assist resellers with placing orders for software licenses through the Microsoft® Open Value volume licensing program. Ordering licenses through Open Value is a simple three-step process that includes:
1) Submitting customer information to your distributor and Microsoft
2) Placing a customer order with an authorized distributor
3) Helping customers manage their licenses and Software Assurance benefits
Before beginning the order process:
- Ensure that you understand which Open Value program is appropriate for your customer.
- Create a list of Microsoft part numbers for the software that your customer wants to order. The Microsoft Licensing Configurator can be used to prepare customer quotes that include part numbers, descriptions, and estimated retail prices
Open Value Program Options
The Open Value program includes:
Microsoft offers the best Open License pricing to customers that standardize on all three software components of either the professional platform or the small business platform options.
A guide for resellers ordering Open Value licenses
- Professional Platform Options Small Business Platform Options
- Office Professional Edition
- Microsoft Core CAL
- Windows Professional Desktop Upgrade
- Office Small Business Edition
- Windows Small Business Server (SBS) CAL
- Windows Professional Desktop Upgrade
- Open Value—Subscription*
- Open Value
Company wide Option
For customers that prefer to purchase
licenses and want to standardize desktop
software company wide
Non-company wide Option
For customers that prefer to subscribe to software All desktop software including Microsoft
Windows®, Microsoft Office, and server CALs (Client Access Licenses) must be licensed company wide
Microsoft Open Value
© 2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. This document is for informational purposes only. MICROSOFT MAKES NO
WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN THIS SUMMARY. Microsoft, Windows, and Your Potential. Our Passion. are either registered
trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
Submitting Customer Information
Provide details online or through your distributor enables resellers and distributors to initiate a new Open Value agreement. The following information is required for an Open Value agreement:
➤ Customer name, address, and telephone number
➤ Company affiliates that will be included on the agreement
➤ Individual contact names, addresses, and telephone numbers
➤ Previous Open Value agreement number and expiration date (if renewing)
➤ Number of qualified desktops in the organization
➤ Number of fully licensed latest or next-to-latest versions of platform software included in the agreement including Windows, Office, and server CALs (Open Value—subscription only)
➤ Program and platform software selections
If your distributor prefers to complete the agreement details, be sure to provide the above information to them.
Obtain customer signature
The primary contact at your customer’s organization will receive a notification that directs them to review and sign the agreement.
Your organization will be copied on this notification.
In most locations, the agreement review and signature process is performed online. Any printed and physically signed agreements must be forwarded to Microsoft through the distributor.
Placing a License Order
Order software through distributor
Using the quote you delivered to your customer:
➤ Provide your distributor with the quantities and part numbers
for the software that your customer is ordering.
➤ Your distributor will electronically place an order with Microsoft
and Microsoft will post customer and license information to
the Microsoft Volume Licensing Services (MVLS) Web site at
Your customer will be sent an order confirmation, a welcome notification,
and a media kit for ordered software. Your organization will be copied on all e-mail messages.
Managing Licenses and Software Assurance
Obtain authorization to manage customer agreement
Customers may authorize resellers to assist in managing their license agreement and Software Assurance benefits through the MVLS Web site. MVLS also has your customers’ volume licensing product license keys.
Helping your customers maximize Software Assurance benefits is a value-added service that can build long-term customer satisfaction with your organization and with their Open Value investment.
For access to MVLS:
➤ Assist new Open Value customers with signing on to the MVLS
Web site and have them designate your organization as an
administrator of Software Assurance benefits and/or
Manage Software Assurance Benefits
Microsoft has created the Software Assurance Benefits Training course to help customers and resellers learn about Software Assurance benefits and how to manage them on the MVLS Web site.
agreement at any time.
- Updating and Renewing Agreements
- Add new software licenses
- Customers may add new licenses to their existing Open Value
➤ Open Value. Orders for new software licenses need to be
placed in the month that the software was deployed.
➤ Open Value—subscription. Desktop platform software is
updated during the annual renewal process.
Update agreement each year
Open Value agreements must be updated annually. Microsoft sends
a reminder with an order form to customers 45 days before the
anniversary date. Resellers and distributors are copied.
➤ Open Value—subscription
➤ Open Value
- Customers report the number of qualified desktops in use at the end of each year.
- The total subscription payment is adjusted to reflect the current number of desktop.
- Customers update their agreement with software acquired throughout the year.
If an order is not placed:
➤ Microsoft will send a reminder on the anniversary date and 30
days after the anniversary date.
➤ After 60 days, the agreement is terminated.
Microsoft notifies customers of an optional three-year extension
90 days before the agreement expiration. Resellers and distributors
If the customer does not renew, their agreement expires.